Saturday, February 4, 2012

Quilting weekend!

Next weekend Kilbora Quilt Shoppe is hosting a fun filled "Quilt in a Weekend" workshop. We have 6 participants so far and knowing all of these gals we will be having a lot of laughs!

The project we will be tackling is very do-able for a weekend project and will be gorgeous when it is done. Also, the cutting was simple and doesn't need hours to prepare. The quilt requires 10 dark fat quarters and 10 light fat quarters. Now the darks can vary as you can see from the photo. I picked out blues,greens,  reds and oranges. I could certainly add in some browns as well. The lights are tan and gold, they are light in comparison to the darks.  All of the fat quarters were chosen from the Moda Kansas Troubles fabrics that we carry. I also chose a selection from Moda's Minick and Simpson collection as well. The lights are creams, tans and have a variety of prints. Varying the tones in both the darks and lights will give this quilt interest.



Because I will be using and teaching Monique Dillard's Fit to be square method I won't be publishing the cutting instructions for the lights just in case some of the girls want to try this method rather than the traditional square in a square piecing. The darks however are easy to cut, from each fatqtr you cut three strips. The first strip is 4 3/4", the 2nd strip is 4 1/2", and the third strip is 2 1/2". All of these strips are WOF (which of course is 22" because remember we are using a fat quarter).


Subcut the first strip 4 3/4 into 2 squares measuring 4 3/4"x4 3/4". Also, 2 pieces 4 1/2" x 3 1/2".

Second strip, 4 1/2" should be Subcut into 6 pieces measuring 4 1/2" x 3 1/2".

Third strip, 2 1/2" should be Subcut into 8 squares 2 1/2"x2 1/2".

There are three borders; first one requires 5/8 yard, second one requires 3/8 yard, and the third border requires 1 5/8 yard. The rest I'm afraid will be revealed next weekend! I hate to be so mysterious but that's what keeps life fun.

I highly recommend you take a look at Monique's website, Open Gate Quilts. I really enjoy her patterns and her quilts are gorgeous. I first heard about Monique and Open Gate thru Carrie Nelson of Miss Rosie's Quilt Co., Carrie highly recommended the Open Gate rulers. Well, everyone who knows me will attest to my love of rulers and gadgets! I just had to try these rulers out and put them to the test. It was love at first use! Once you get your head around the trimming you create perfect flying geese or square in a square. I can't sing praises high enough with regard to the rulers, which then of course led me to her patterns which I have found very straightforward and create beautiful results. We carry her rulers here in the shop and they come with a free pattern which is nice.

On another note, you know that spring is just around the corner when you look out my window and this is what you see! Awwww......and no mint jelly jokes - that's not nice.

Happy Sewing
Anne Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment